Via Patrick Lagacé, La Presse’s union has ratified an agreement that will allow La Presse journalists to return to blogging and harmonize La Presse and Cyberpresse journalists.
Among the details of the agreement, according to Michel Dumais:
- Pay equity between La Presse and Cyberpresse workers, including eight years of back pay for underpaid Cyberpresse workers
- Extra pay for print journalists who blog
- Print journalists can now take video, but only when a photographer is also taking photographs at the same time.
- Print journalists will no longer be forced to file breaking news stories for Cyberpresse and articles for La Presse (really?)
- Journalists keep copyright over their work, which is being sold back to Cyberpresse for a symbolic fee.
Hopefully this will set a precedent for other unionized papers in Quebec who are facing similar problems with journalist multitasking.
UPDATE (March 21): Tristan Péloquin has returned to blogging.