For the benefit of those of you who never read those borough newsletters which serve to waste so much of our tax money with pointless letters from elected officials, many Montreal boroughs are changing collection days and procedures for garbage and recycling as we cross into the new year.
In most cases, the changes are the result of a decision to contract out collection services to replace borough employees. I’m sure there’s a news story in there somewhere.
Here’s the breakdown.
As of Dec. 29, all collections from 8am to 6pm
- Ahuntsic: Garbage on Tuesdays and Fridays; recycling on Wednesdays
- Bordeaux-Cartierville: Garbage on Tuesdays and Fridays; recycling on Tuesdays
- Sault-au-Récollet: Garbage on Mondays and Thursdays; recycling on Thursdays
- Saint-Sulpice: Garbage on Mondays and Thursdays; recycling on Mondays
- Christmas tree collection on Jan. 7 and 14.
Schedule remains the same. Christmas tree pickup Jan. 7 and 14.
Changes as of Jan. 5:
- New collection days (see the charts in this pamphlet for details)
- No need to separate different types of recyclables
No changes. Recycling and garbage pickup remains on Mondays.
No apparent changes.
No apparent changes. Garbage collection on Wednesdays, recycling depending on sector.
Garbage pickup changes as of Dec. 29. Recycling pickup changes as of Jan. 5. Collection dates vary by region (no information online).
Recycling collection throughout the borough moves to Thursdays beginning Jan 8.
No changes. Garbage pickup in Pierrefonds Mondays and Thursdays (except Christmas and New Year’s). Garbage pickup in Roxboro on Tuesdays (plus Fridays during the summer). Recycling pickup Mondays west of St. John’s and Tuesdays east of St. John’s.
No apparent changes. Recycling pickups remain on Wednesdays.
- As of Dec. 29, garbage pickup begins at 7am (Residents can put garbage out as of 9pm the night before)
- Large object pickup on Wednesdays as of Jan. 5
- As of Jan. 1, recycling bins available exclusively at Accès Montreal offices
- Residents whose recycling pickup was Fridays will now be on Wednesdays (PDF).
Rosemont-La Petite Patrie
Saint-Laurent begins garbage and recycling collection with large green wheeled bins starting in the spring. Residents have until Jan. 16 to choose which size bin they prefer. Garbage collection is once a week depending on the sector of the borough. Recycling collection is on Thursdays throughout the borough for buildings of fewer than eight units, though that will change in April.
No apparent changes. Garbage pickup Mondays and Thursdays. Recycling on Wednesdays.
As of Jan. 1
- Émard (area bordered by Saint-Patrick, Briand, Irwin, des Trinitaires, de la Vérendrye): recycling collection moves from Friday to Tuesday.
- Côte-Saint-Paul (area bordered by Saint-Patrick, Pitt, Le Caron, Briand, de la Vérendrye and Bonaventure autoroute): recycling collection moves from Tuesday to Wednesday.
Note: Recycling collection (as of Jan. 2) happens between 8am and 7pm, garbage collection (as of Dec. 27) between 8am and 4pm. Bags should be placed out front between 5am and 8am.
- North (above René-Lévesque, west of Saint-Laurent): Recycling on Wednesdays, garbage on Mondays and Thursdays
- South (below René-Lévesque west of Saint-Laurent, below St. Antoine east of Saint-Laurent): Recycling on Tuesdays, garbage on Mondays and Thursdays
- East (both sides of Saint-Laurent north of St. Antoine, and east of Saint-Laurent and north of St. Antoine): Recycling on Thursdays, garbage on Tuesdays and Fridays
- Collection of Christmas trees during every Wednesday in January
- Large objects such as furniture will be considered regular garbage, with the exception or large appliances and auto tires.
- All garbage collection days remain the same, but will be during the day only (no evening pickup)
- Apparently recycling is now being picked up by repurposed old garbage trucks.
- Park Extension (west of Casgrain Ave.): Recycling pickup on Wednesdays
- Villeray (Casgrain to Garnier): Recycling pickup on Tuesdays
- François-Perrault (east of Garnier/Fabre, below Tillemont/Cremazie): Recycling pickup on Thursdays, large object pickup moves to Wednesdays
- Saint-Michel (above Crémazie/Tillemont, east of Papineau): Recycling pickup on Mondays
- Christmas tree collection on Jan. 7 and 14
No changes. Verdun’s collection system was overhauled in October. Christmas tree collection at all times
UPDATE (Jan. 7): The Gazette points out that the boroughs didn’t do a good job of letting people know about these changes (they were in the community papers and printed notices were sent, the problem is that people ignored the). It also includes a list similar to the one above of changes in various boroughs.