From the Airchecker blog, a memo about changes at Astral Media radio stations in Montreal (which include CJAD 800, CHOM 97.7 and CJFM 95.9).
- Mike Bendixen, former CJAD programming director who took a temporary job doing the same at CFRB 1010 in Toronto, will remain there permanently.
- Steve Kowch, the man Bendixen replaced at CFRB (and who took Bendixen's job at CJAD in a rather ironic move), is out. His last day is Dec. 18. He had expected to be at CJAD until March. Now he can concentrate on writing a book, at least.
- Chris Bury takes over as PD/Interim News Director at CJAD on Jan. 4. Bury started at CJAD in 1998, but for most of this decade worked at 940 News. He became CINW's program director when it became 940 Hits.
- Mark Bergman becomes Interim Program Director of CJFM (Virgin Radio 96), replacing Bob Harris, who is leaving for Hamilton. Bergman is currently the assistant PD. Bergman will remain on his afternoon show with Chantal Desjardins.
- Mathew Wood, who managed promotions for all three stations, now focuses exclusively on CHOM.
- Melissa Mancuso, a promotions assistant, replaces Wood as Promotions Director at CJFM.
- Bianca Bayer becomes Promotions Coordinator for CJFM. (What's the difference between a Promotions Director and Promotions Coordinator? Beats me.)
- Lisa Fuoco becomes Promotions Director at CJAD, stripping "assistant" from her title.
- Peter McEntyre will assist Fuoco part-time. (McEntyre is also one of the hosts of CJAD's Irish Show)
VP/GM Martin Spalding explains the strategy, in case it's not obvious:
The strategy is to have a dedicated Program and Promotions Director for each station. This will enable CJAD, Virgin 96 and CHOM to compete independently, prosper and build strong brand identities within an aggressive and ever-evolving radio market.
Could it be that Astral Media is finally realizing that radio stations work better if they have their own brands and target audiences, and that the tag "an Astral Media radio station" doesn't impress anyone?