Ted Tevan, one of Montreal’s talk radio greats, inconveniently died on Friday night, the time when statistically news has its smallest impact. Though it might have taken a few days, his colleagues and others have taken notice and offered their thoughts and stories.
I never met Tevan myself, so I have nothing to add, but I wanted to compile everything in one place.
- The paid obit, listing funeral information
- A brief obit at CTV Montreal
- A brief obit at CJAD
- An obit with lots of biographical information by Earl Zukerman in Monday’s Gazette
- An obit from the Cornwall Free News
- A brief obit from Canadian Press
- An obit from the Whig-Standard in Kingston, where Tevan was from
- Ted Bird compiles Facebook comments on his Gazette blog
- Mitch Melnick
- Mark Korman’s Montreal Radio Blog
- Paul Graif in the Local Seeker
- Shawn O’hara
- Robert Agouri
- Carmi Levy
- Ian Halperin
- Mike Cohen
- Johnny Bertolo
- Comments on Twitter
- Dave Stubbs has posted audio of a discussion with Randy Tieman on Team 990 about Tevan (MP3)
- On YouTube, video of him behind the mic, audio taken from cassette tapes (“You’re gone” comes at 7:52) and audio of his signoff
- From Marc Denis’s website on CFOX, audio of Tevan doing a Winner’s Circle horse racing report in 1973
Gabriel Morency talked quite a bit on his show Monday about Tevan. Mitch Melnick also devoted his show on Tuesday to Tevan (clips are posted here and will be aired again on Saturday), with interviews with people like Aaron Rand, Dickie Moore, Mitch Garber, Bill Brownstein and a bunch of other people I’m too young to remember.
Tevan’s funeral was Wednesday at 1pm at Paperman & Sons, 3888 Jean Talon St. W. CTV’s Cindy Sherwin was there.