One of the consequences of a new independent English-language commercial AM station taking half a decade to launch is that it’s been brought up so many times when people get laid off or otherwise cut from other radio and TV stations.
Favourite radio personality loses their show on CJAD or The Beat? That new AM station should hire them and we’ll listen to them there instead!
TTP Media has already indicated that their on-air personalities will include names familiar to Montreal audiences. And since there haven’t been any unexplained high-profile departures from the major stations in the past month, we can assume that some of these names will probably come from the list of those who have been removed from jobs elsewhere and haven’t found better ones elsewhere.
To give you an idea of how many people we’re talking about, I made a list of the on-air personalities who have been cut (laid off, fired, constructively dismissed or otherwise left) from commercial radio and television here in the past decade or so. Some have found part-time or fill-in work, some are working in a different industry (and may or may not be willing to come back) and some may have simply decided to retire.
I’ve excluded managers (Wayne Bews, Mark Dickie, Mary-Jo Barr) and other off-air people, people who have full-time broadcasting jobs elsewhere (AJ Reynolds, Ted Bird, Tasso, Al Gravelle, David Tyler), those who left jobs at campus and community stations (Java Jacobs, Lance Delisle), and the many young interns and temporary workers who simply ran out of contracts.
The list is almost certainly missing some names, so feel free to add others in the comments.
Here’s what I got off the top of my head, in alphabetical order:
- Tanya Armstrong, cut from The Jewel
- Heather Backman, cut from CHOM (currently filling in at The Beat)
- Sarah Bartok, cut from The Beat (currently filling in at Toronto’s 93.5 The Move)
- Claude Beaulieu, cut from CJAD
- Paul Beauregard, cut from CHOM
- Sol Boxenbaum, cut from CJAD
- Tom Buddo, cut from Virgin Radio
- Patrick Charles, cut from Virgin Radio
- Sean Coleman, cut from CTV Montreal (currently part-time at TSN 690)
- Jim Connell, cut from AM 940/Global Montreal (currently working with TTP Media)
- Andre Corbeil, cut from CTV Montreal
- Brandon Craddock, cut from CHOM
- Richard Dagenais, cut from Global Montreal/MAtv
- Mike Dall, cut from Virgin Radio
- Suzanne Desautels, cut from CJAD
- Chantal Desjardins, cut from CHOM, CJAD and Sportsnet
- Alexandre Despatie, cut from City Montreal
- Olga Gazdovic, cut from CJAD
- Abe Hefter, cut from TSN 690 (currently at University of Hartford)
- Kevin Holden, cut from CJAD
- Peter Anthony Holder, cut from CJAD
- Dave Kaufman, left CJAD (moved to UK but has since moved back and is filling in)
- Patrick Lejtenyi, cut from CJAD
- Laurie Macdonald, cut from CJAD (currently in real estate)
- Ronny Mack (Ron Mackinnon), cut from CHOM
- Pete Marier, cut from CHOM and Ottawa’s Boom 99.7
- Barry Morgan, cut from CJAD
- Ric Peterson, cut from CJAD
- Claude Rajotte, cut from MusiquePlus (currently working as a DJ)
- Jessica Rusnak, left TSN 690 (currently filling in at CBC)
- Murray Sherriffs, cut from Virgin, The Beat and Ottawa’s Boom 99.7
- PJ Stock, cut from Sportsnet
- Randy Tieman, cut from CTV Montreal
- Dennis Trudeau, cut from AM 940
- Wilder Weir, cut from City Montreal
- Brian Wilde, cut from CTV Montreal
- Sharman Yarnell, cut from CJAD