As St. Jean Baptiste approaches, Patrick Lagacé asks us to say why we love Quebec.
Here’s a few of my reasons:
- Julie Couillard.
- Because politics here is never boring.
- Because we have a government that’s progressive yet democratic.
- Because we have a population that is actually bilingual, and doesn’t just pretend to be for show.
- Because we had a massively controversial independence vote that was decided almost within the margin of error, but it wasn’t followed by a civil war.
- Because the single biggest and most violent political crisis in our history produced a single fatality.
- Because of Les Francs-Tireurs and Patrick Lagacé’s hair.
- Because Québécois French is so funny-sounding.
- Because the Canadiens are not so much a hockey team as a shared religion.
- Because of all the pretty girls I’m going to see today on the way to work.
UPDATE: I see this has officially reached meme status. Which would make it my first meme. And hopefully my last.
UPDATE (June 24): Lagacé’s column compiles his readers’ responses.