As the NHL free-agency period began yesterday, and players’ contracts expired allowing any team to sign deals with them, some pretty wacky numbers started to appear:
- $8.7 million/year for Evgeni Malkin
- $7.45 million for one year for Marian Hossa
- $7.1 million/year for Brian Campbell
- $4.1 million/year for Mark Streit
- $4.5 million/year for former Canadiens goaltender José Theodore
- $5 million/year for former Canadiens goaltender Cristobal Huet
And yet, someone is going to make more next year than all of these people put together: Rush Limbaugh. And that’s not even including his $100 million signing bonus.
…and to think the Rocket couldn’t even get a day off “work” to move. This is why I don’t believe in hockey anymore. I don’t care how talented they are, these salaries are just ridiculous.
Consider – just for a moment – that Cristobal Huet is now higher-paid than Martin Brodeur.
That’s just insane.