Canwest closes two, sells two, rebrands one
After putting the five conventional television stations comprising its secondary E! network (formerly CH) on the block for a “strategic review”, the results are in:
- CHCH Hamilton and CJNT Montreal will be sold to a company called Channel Zero for a grand total of $12.
- CHBC Kelowna (B.C.) will be brought into the Global network as a Global station (its local programming minimums being dropped from 13.5 hours a week to 7 will no doubt be taken advantage of here)
- CHEK Victoria and CHCA Red Deer (Alta.) will close on Aug. 31. CHEK couldn’t be turned into a Global station because of a CRTC rule that it not duplicate CHAN in Vancouver. CHCA is right between Calgary and Edmonton, both of which have Global stations.
Get the news from your favourite source:
- Canwest press release
- Vancouver Sun (focusing on CHEK), plus piece from the archives on CHEK history
- Canadian Press
The decisions mean the end to the E!/CH network.
CTV closes one, sells one, keeps one
Meanwhile, after Shaw backed away from buying three CTV stations for $1, there is similar mixed news at those stations:
- CHWI Windsor will be kept on the air for at least another year, thanks to an infusion of funding
- CKX Brandon (Man.) will be sold for $1 (press release) to Bluepoint Investment Corp. (don’t ask me who that is), who may be looking to buy other TV properties
- CKNX Wingham (Ont.) will be shut down on Aug. 31 and converted into a retransmitter for CFPL London
This leaves six A-channel stations left, including CHWI and the cable-only Atlantic A network.
Is there a Canwest station in Montreal? I sometimes see ads from Montreal on Fox when I watch my Sunday “Animation Domination”, but where are they coming from?
Global Quebec (which will soon become Global Montreal).
Do you know when it will become Global Montreal?
I guess it would be official after Aug. 31, but the branding change can happen pretty well whenever they want.
last Wed.July 22/09, the floundering Canwest did some more layoffs which never made the headlines.
Departments affected were in Marketing, Specialty TV & Conventional, rumors swirling that more are to come on Aug.31/09.
all this happening while Leonards brother is buying a CFL stadium (???) & sister asking for more government money for their Human Rights museum. What have these Asper kids done to the Asper Empire?
what is the worst case scenario for Canwest?
Pingback: Fagstein » CRTC Roundup: Details on CJNT/CHCH sale
I poo out more Canadian content in one day than CTV and Global air combined in a year.
The Global buy up of CHBC seems fitting. Global National used to have an intro that flashed up all the places they cover, and it read something like: PARIS, MOSCOW, CAIRO, LONDON, KELOWNA, BERLIN….
They clearly think highly of the little burg. Or, they just realize that every two-to-three years they can set up camp for another giant “fire” story.