TSN Radio 690 has become the official radio broadcaster of the Laval Rocket, the Montreal Canadiens’ American Hockey League farm team, which is moving to the new Place Bell starting this season.
Okay, so that’s not so impressive, since there aren’t exactly a lot of other English-language sports talk stations desperate for the rights.
But this means TSN 690 will be broadcasting some Laval Rockets games on the air. Currently the plan is to broadcast Friday home games.
Excited for the opportunity to call @RocketLaval games on @TSN690. Been practicing since playing #NHL94 on SNES as kid, so I should be ready
— Sean R Campbell (@seanrcampbell) September 1, 2017
Sean Campbell has been named play-by-play man for these games. Mike Kelly, who has experience at TSN, NHL Network and Leafs TV, will do colour commentary.
The broadcasts will start with the Oct. 6 inaugural game against the Belleville Senators, and will likely end with the final home game on April 13 against the Toronto Marlies. The following matches are tentatively scheduled for TSN 690 broadcast, but that can change:
- Friday Oct. 6 @ 7:30pm vs Belleville
- Friday Oct. 13 @ 7:30pm vs Binghamton
- Friday Nov. 17 @ 7:30pm vs Lehigh Valley
- Friday Nov. 24 @ 7:30pm vs Utica
- Friday Dec. 8 @ 7:30pm vs Toronto
- Friday Jan. 12 @ 7:30pm vs Hartford
- Friday Jan. 26 @ 7:30pm vs Manitoba
- Friday Feb. 16 @ 7:30pm vs Hershey
- Friday March 9 @ 7:30pm vs Belleville
- Friday April 6 @ 7:30pm vs Springfield
- Friday April 13 @ 7:30pm vs Toronto
If TSN sticks to that, it’ll represent 11 of 76 regular-season games, or 14%, and 11 of 38 home games, or 29%.
Playoff games are obviously a possibility, but at least for this season might be more of a theoretical thing the way the Canadiens’ farm team has been playing lately.
This is good news! Sean Campbell is highly experienced and knows how to bring excitement to a radio broadcast of hockey. Im looking forward catching his call during the Friday night void that the habs schedual often has… This is a good pickup for 690