Numeris has released top-line numbers for its summer ratings period, and those figures show The Beat still at twice Virgin’s audience, while CJAD’s audience has continued to slip.
Here’s the market share for Montreal anglophones, ages 12+, for May 27 to Aug. 25, 2019:
- CJAD 800: 25.6%
- The Beat 92.5: 20.8%
- CHOM 97.7: 12.2%
- Virgin Radio 95.9: 10.7%
- CBC Radio One: 6.8%
- TSN Radio 690: 3.4%
- CBC Music: 2.4%
- Rythme 105,7: 2.4%
- 98,5fm: 2.3%
Remaining stations are below 2%.
Virgin has tried turning things around by replacing its morning team of Freeway and Natasha with Cousin Vinny and Shannon King. It’s too early to tell if that had any impact on ratings. But at least Virgin has climbed back above CBC, which it was below during the last ratings book.
Among Montreal francophones (also 12+, May 27 to Aug. 25, 2019):
- 98,5fm: 16.3%
- Rythme 105,7: 13.8%
- ICI Première: 12.0%
- 107,3 Rouge: 11.4%
- CKOI: 10.2%
- CHOM 97.7: 6.1%
- Énergie: 5.9%
- The Beat 92.5: 5.4%
- Virgin Radio 95.9: 4.3%
- ICI Musique: 2.6%
- 91,9 Sports: 1.7%
Remaining stations are below 1%.
Not much change here, with news-talk station 98,5 ahead and Rythme the top music station. Énergie’s numbers are very low, falling below CHOM. Expect some change there if the numbers don’t rebound soon. Their numbers were so bad they made a video making fun of the very idea of ratings.
The spin zone
- The Beat: Best results ever (highest weekly reach)
- 98,5fm: #1 station in Montreal, best among adults and women 25-54, highest reach
- Rythme 105,7: #1 music station in Montreal (and having a bit of fun at their own spin)
- Rouge: Best among adults 18-34
- CKOI: Best music station among adults 24-44
- Énergie: What does #1 mean, anyway?
- ICI Première/Musique: Increase in listeners, #3 in Montreal