Numeris released its quarterly metered ratings report on Wednesday, and while the order in Montreal hasn’t changed much, there are some trends that should be worrying some people, particularly at Bell Media.
Here’s the top-line data — Average minute audience, Montreal anglo 12+, Nov. 29, 2021 to Feb. 27, 2022:
- CJAD 800: 11,100
- The Beat 92.5: 6,500
- CBC Radio One: 5,700
- CHOM 977: 3,800
- 95.9 Virgin Radio: 2,700
- TSN 690: 2,200
- CBC Music: 1,300
The good news goes mainly to CBC Radio One, which had a sudden spike in the last ratings book and has maintained it through this one. Its 14.9% market share overall is the highest it’s been in a decade at least and 69% higher than it was just a year ago.
CJAD, while it continues a long-term decline in total audience, remains the market leader by far. TSN 690, meanwhile, is holding its own, with a 5.8% market share that is second only to last summer’s Stanley Cup Final run going back a decade.
On the music side, audiences still haven’t recovered to pre-pandemic levels, but the pains are worse for some than others. The Beat, which was hardest hit by the end of “9-to-5” workplace background music, has remained stable since that drop, while 95.9 Virgin Radio has continued a long-term decline, and now has its smallest audience since it launched.
CHOM, which didn’t take much of a pandemic hit, seems to have fallen off significantly since last summer, when Terry DiMonte left. CHOM is hoping the new morning show, with three hosts, will help bring that number back up.
On the French side, 98.5 FM remains king, but ICI Radio-Canada Première has been on a significant upswing and has its largest audience since Numeris began using metered ratings.
As far as music, well it’s still enough of a mess that, when you count out Rythme FM, everyone can make a claim to be #1, and everyone is. Most notable here is that CKOI, which was a clear second place last summer, has fallen back into the pack.
The usual twisting of the numbers to claim overall success, here we go:
- The Beat 92.5: #1 music station in Montreal (among anglophones)
- Bell Media’s English stations: *crickets*
- 98,5fm: Highest rated station in every category and most listened-to French-language station in Canada
- Rythme 105.7: Top-rated music station in Montreal and Quebec
- CKOI: Top-rated francophone music station in Canada (by weekly reach)
- Radio-Canada: Record ratings for both ICI Première and ICI Musique
- Énergie 94,3: Top-rated music station among adults 25-54 for 7th straight survey
- 107,3 Rouge: Top-rated afternoon drive show among women 25-54
- WKND 99,5: Most-improved radio station in Montreal