My request was simple: Don’t vote for me in the sad popularity contest that is the Mirror’s Best of Montreal readers’ poll. Instead, it appears, someone did do exactly that because I came in eighth.
I’d say I was honoured, but I placed just below Drunken Stepfather. That doesn’t exactly fill me with pride.
Still, congrats to those who did end up on the list, especially those who didn’t use their blogs to inflate their votes (Montreal City Weblog, Spacing Montreal, Pregnant Goldfish).
I should also point out some other blogs on that list, which I’ve never frequented because they aren’t about the city, but are still interesting:
- Black Sheep Reviews (Hollywood movie reviews)
- Said the Gramophone (MP3 sampler)
- Hastily Put Together (webcomic)
I also think Coolopolis should have been there somewhere, as well as some francophone blogs. But this is about popularity, not quality, right?
No news here
As for the rest of the poll, nothing is particularly surprising for anyone who’s seen BOM results before. Chain restaurants still dominate the best eats categories (McDonald’s is there twice).
In the media categories:
- CKUT won best radio station
- CFCF best TV station (with Mutsumi Takahashi and Todd van der Heyden best news anchors, though the Mirror seems to think the later is the evening news guy, when last time I checked it was 8th-placed Brian Britt)
- K103‘s Don Smooth best radio host (the Mirror has a profile)
- Mix and CHOM’s morning shows as best radio shows
- Nightlife Magazine won best magazine
- The Mirror, shockingly, came in first for Best Newspaper, again. The Gazette was second, which I think says something, followed by the three franco dailies, Voir, Hour, The Link, Metro and the McGill Daily.
- The Gazette’s Aislin won for Best Cartoonist, beating ballot-stuffing Radomsky and La Presse’s Serge Chapleau
And Boustan, who also mounted a self-promotion campaign to improve its standing, maintained its dominance in the Middle Eastern categories, improved in others and added two new ones:
- Best Middle-Eastern (still 1st)
- Best Falafel (still 1st)
- Best Late-Night Eats (2nd from 3rd)
- Best Delivery (2nd from 4th)
- Best Cheap Eats (3rd)
- Best Sandwich (5th)
However, people weren’t convinced enough to vote for it as Best Fries or Best Vegetarian.
Elsewhere in the bragosphere:
- Spacing Montreal
- Indyish (Pregnant Goldfish)
- Montreal City Weblog
Wow you’re famous! And I’m very disappointed that Villeray was at #13 for best neighbourhood.
Pingback: Fagstein » What do I have to do to get you to stop honouring me?