Mark Bergman, who hosts the afternoon drive-time show on CJFM (
Mix 96 Virgin Radio 96) but was recently promoted to interim program director at the station, is hanging up the mic and hiring his own replacement.
But he won’t disappear forever, he tells me:
Radio is a passion of mine (I’d have to be crazy to be in this biz, if it wasn’t).
I started off handing out bumper stickers, then tech work, then overnight shows, evenings, drive, and now the next step for me is programming the entire station. It’s ways been a goal to program… But yes, I will still be around on-air here and there.
Bergman, who I’m told spends his days alone in his office crying, with occasional screams of “Chantal! Why did you leave me?“, is accepting applications for a permanent weekday 4-7pm host until Jan. 31. Requirements are three years of on-air experience, the kind of energy and perkiness that you’d expect from a music radio announcer, and “fashion sense of Lady Gaga”, which I find an odd requirement because every time I see someone from that station they’re wearing a standard-issue Virgin Radio T-shirt.
Here’s the job post that went up at Milkmanunlimited.com:
Position: AFTERNOON HOST – VIRGIN RADIO 96 (Full time – permanent position)
The search is on! Virgin Radio is looking for Montreal’s newest superstar!
If you’re passionate about our business, pop culture, not afraid to challenge yourself everyday, have a proven track record of success and want to live in one of Canada’s most exciting cities, mp3 us your best now!
Reports to: Program Director
Address: 1411 Fort Street, Montreal, Quebec H3H 2R1
On air shift Monday – Friday 4:00pm-7:00pm (includes 1 weekend shift a month)
- Delivering a creative, fun, different, tight, and spontaneous drive home show that fits the target audience of Virgin Radio 96;
- Preparing relevant content for each on air shift as scheduled and as per station target;
- Updating Interactive content, (blogging on relevant Astral websites, participating in daily podcasts and such other Interactive content related activities);
- Making public appearances;
- Commercial production;
- Preparation and recording Voice track shifts when required.
Skills and Qualifications:
- Minimum 3 years on air experience;
- Love for pop culture and music;
- Must be creative and innovative;
- Must be able to relate to, and embrace the lifestyle of CHR (contemporary HIT radio) audience;
- Excellent organizational and production skills;
- Very team oriented;
- Able to create slick phone calls;
- A positive, friendly manner that will allow you to deal with challenging situations;
- Passionate, detail oriented and goal oriented;
- Able to work under pressure and with tight deadlines;
- Excellent computer skills;
- English mandatory, French an asset;
- Fashion sense of Lady Gaga!
Any candidate who wants to apply for this opportunity should send their resume, cover letter and MP3 to:
Astral Media Radio Virgin Radio 96
Subject: Virgin Radio Drive
Deadline : January 31st, 2010